28 May 2009

Speise im Wien!

I was thinking that I need to be sure to tell everyone which are the places that I have been for food and which places are the best. Ok, so there is this little würstel stand just off Kärntner straße that has really good kebab and dürüm. It is kitty corner behind the Sacher Hotel. They are a little more expensive than the place in front of the Augustina as far as Bratwursts go but the wursts are bigger and tastier.
Everyone who has heard of Vienna knows about the Sachertorte which is a chocolate cake that is supposedly amazing and originated in the Sacher Hotel. Well, I haven't had it from the Sacher but I had an even more expensive version from the oldest continually running restaurant in Europe, if not in the world, Griechenbeisl. It cost 4,90 Euro (about 6.75 USD). It was dry and overrated. My roommate McKay bought one from the actual hotel and he said it was the same.
Also at the Griechenbeisl I ate the apfel strudel. I heard from others that it was awesome but I think that was because it has a little lemon zest in there to liven it up. I thought it was alright but not 5,20 alright (about 7.25). I had the marillen palatschinken (Apricot Crepes) though and they were the bomb. Maybe even worth the 7.50 (USD).
I'll have to let you know about other steals, deals and yummy meals a little later. Bis dann!

No comments: